Southern Area Walks
From the South Coast, North and South Downs to the Chilterns and all points in between, we have a selection of walks to suit all abilities. You’ll find details of the future walking programme on this page as well as a link to the last 12 months' programme so you can see what you've missed!
Non-members are welcome to ’try us out’ on a couple of day walks before deciding to join, but we ask you to check with the leader first. Click on the leader’s name to send an email. Where no email address is given use the contact form and we will put you in touch.
You can see the Southern programme for the last 12 months by clicking on the link below:
Where a walk involves public transport it is advisable to check the train or bus times beforehand. A packed lunch will be needed unless stated otherwise, although we try to finish most walks with a tea shop / pub stop.
Current Southern Walks ProgrammeUPDATED 15th OCTOBER. Organised walks are covered under Government 'outdoor physical activity events' and are exempt from the 'rule of 6' restrictions as long as we comply with the 'return to play' protocols and the 3-tier alert legislation. The following rules will therefore apply for group walks:
- Group size is at the leader's discretion up to a maximum of 15 (including the leader)
- For group sizes over 6, the group leader must carry out a written risk assessment beforehand
- Walks should be booked with the leader by text or phone call on a first come first served basis
- The group leader must keep a list of names and contact details of who is on the walk for 21 days in case any contact tracing is needed
- Walks should ideally be planned to avoid public transport. Members may travel to walks by public transport if necessary. Please follow latest Government advice on measures required
- Car sharing is currently not recommended for non-essential travel (please check latest Government advice)
- People on the walks should follow social distancing i.e. it is still recommended to keep 2 metres apart if at all possible
- The 'rule of 6' still applies if visiting tea-shops, pubs etc and on any public transport.
- Those living in areas designated as 'very-high alert' (Tier 3) must not attend our walks. We will not organise walks in any Tier 3 area.
- People who are, or are living with vulnerable people should check latest Government guidance before coming on group walks
- Anyone feeling unwell or with any of the symptoms of the virus should not come on walks
You can download this programme in iCalendar format (compatible with most PC and smartphone calendar applications) by clicking here.
|Saturday 24 October||WOKING, SURREY||Leader: Greg|
|15 places available. An 11 mile circular walk from Woking including the River Wey and Basingstoke Canal. Packed lunch, possible pub stop at Pyrford Lock. Café in Woking at end.|
Meet 10.30 Woking Station - south side, exit via platform 5 (10.00 from London Waterloo, arrive 10.24). Station car park £3-50 (Oriental Road - GU22 7AN).
|Saturday 31 October||WENDOVER, BUCKS||Leader: Phil|
|6 places available. A 10 mile circular walk in the Chilterns (completely different from September) with a pub lunch at The Plough, Lower Cadsden, taking in Coombe Hill on the return leg. |
Meet 10.45 Wendover Station (09.57 from London Marylebone, arrive 10.45). Parking available at the Station (HP22 6BN), cost £5.00 all day.
|Saturday 14 November||DORKING / REIGATE, SURREY||Leader: Nick|
|A walk in the North Downs from either Dorking or Reigate. Further details to follow nearer the date.|
|Saturday 21 November||HENLEY-ON-THAMES, OXON||Leader: Richard M.|
|Rescheduled from 3 October. 15 places available. An 8 mile circular walk from Henley via Harpsden, Binfield Heath, Kings Farm Lane, and Pack and Prime Lane. Packed lunch, possible pub stop at Binfield Heath. Café in Henley at end.|
Meet 11.00 Henley-on-Thames Station (09.57 from London Paddington, arrive Twyford 10.37 then 10.46 from Twyford, arrive Henley 10.58 or 10.22 from Reading, arr. Twyford 10.27 for same connection).
|Saturday 5 December||SEVENOAKS, KENT||Leader: Chris|
|15 places available. A 7 mile circular walk, including Knole Park.|
Meet 10.45 Sevenoaks Station (10.10 from Charing Cross, arrive 10.42).
|Saturday 12 December||WELHAM GREEN TO WEST END VILLAGE, HERTS||Leader: Eva & Brian|
|6 places available. A level 7 mile circular walk in Hertfordshire. Pub lunch (hopefully) at The Candlestick in West End. Return to Eva’s house for pre-Christmas mulled wine and mince pies.|
Meet 10.30 at Eva’s house. If travelling by train, 09.58 from Moorgate or 10.12 from Finsbury Park, arr. Welham Green 10.40 - we will collect anyone from the station.
|Saturday 9 January 2021||MILTON KEYNES, BUCKS||Leader: Dave|
|15 places available. A 10 mile level walk mostly on good paths (but bring boots!), featuring the Teardrop Lakes and Bottledump Roundabout plus the North Bucks Way, i.e. the opposite direction to the walk in January. |
Meet 10.55 Milton Keynes Central Station (10.15 from London Euston, arrive 10.55). Parking at the leader’s house would be possible but as we're walking in the opposite direction it would add 2 miles to the day.
|Saturday 23 January 2021||FARNHAM, SURREY||Leader: Greg|
|15 places available. A 10 mile circular walk via the River Wey and Tilford to Frensham Little Pond. Return via Farnham Heath Nature Reserve. Packed lunch or takeaway from the kiosk (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/frensham-little-pond). |
Meet 10.55 Farnham Station (09.54 from London Waterloo, arrive 10.55). Station car park £3-50 (GU9 8AD).